Friday, January 20, 2017

Brisbane Gallery and Museum

After GOMA we headed over to the old art gallery and the museum which is only a few steps away :) My main goal for going to the museum was to get some inspiration for ceramic making :) :)

One day I'd love to do a woodcut too :)







There's a story linked to this guy above - one night I was driving home and saw what I thought was a Bilby, just down from our place. At home, Ben told me Bilbies are super endangered and after a bit of googling I quickly learned that we also don't live in their habitat. I thought I'd gone crazy until more googling revealed a Bilby is basically a long eared Bandicoot (above) which are much more common! Still so cool to see a Bandicoot and actually learn the difference.  I might be a bad aussie here, in not having known the difference :P

Now this guy IS a Bilby and has been made extra famous around Easter when the shops stock a chocolate Bilby Easter bunny :) I think his long ears gives him the slight cuteness factor over the bandicoot but both are definitely adorable!






Tawny Frogmouth Owl! We went to our friends the other weekend and they had one in their tree :) Someone commented that they look like a cross between a kookaburra and an owl *nods*

Platypus and Echidna! I'ave ticked both these guys off my 'seen in the wild' list here and here





Cowrie shells - the animal print of the water Kingdom :)




Sugar glider! Oh my gosh they are so cute, we got to rescue one from Ben's room a few months ago, at first we thought it was a mouse (so tiny!) but it was hoping around and then we saw it was trying to get elevation so it could glide! I wasn't aware that when they're not in flight mode you can't really see the excess skin that gives them their wing power, so I think it's okay we initially mistook it for a mouse!

More bilbies! I definitely have to make one of those guys out of clay! :) :)

4 comments:

  1. ooh I've held a sugar glider before too and it really is sooo cute!! I hate that we don't have museums like this where I live. Also, I've been missing out on too many of your posts so I've got to catch up! what a busy month, hope all is good on your end! x Sharon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. eep - how cute are sugar gliders!!! I feel like Jan is flying by as well! Thanks for your comment :)

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh how utterly fascinating. And both are very cute but I think the ears on the bilby do make them slightly cuter ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Big ears for the win! :) :) This makes me think of Noddy! Okay Now I'm getting off track :P :P

      Delete

If you would like to be notified of further replies click the "notify me" box (in the bottom right hand corner)