Sunday, April 20, 2014

DIY Prom King and Queen Crowns

With the party now less than a week away, I'm doing one DIY project a day whilst still managing to spend time playing with a certain kitten :) My first DIY project were the Prom King and Queen Crowns. I definitely could of just gone out and bought some plastic crowns but I wanted them to be way more cheesy and love filled!

I started off with the Queen Crown, which I knew was going to be all about the pipe cleaners using the below images as inspiration...


I really liked the gold heart in the bottom middle image and the inclusion of pom poms and diamontes. I wanted my crown pretty elaborate so I added some pink tulle and glued on some silver stars :) 

Ta- Daaaa!

and then it was onto the King's Crown using the images below as inspiration :)

I was amazed at the crown on the left, I originally thought it was corrugated cardboard but alas it's actually a traditionally handcrafted Norwegian crown! Anyway it was definitely the deciding factor in using cardboard and spray paint rather than buying that gold shiny cardboard from the newsagent - probably in hindsight not too much of a difference there :p. 

 
I was also inspired by image number three to include some fake fur to the bottom, I only had black lying around so I went with that. The shape was inspired by no. 5 and of course I had to include some jewels. I used what I had in my craft box but if I had to buy supplies I probably would of gone even bigger with the jewels.  Crown number one also inspired me to stick some toys to the crown - the silver pendant found from a gum ball machine and the birds wings were from an old yowie toy (anyone remember them?)


The sashes apart from being really hard to photograph were super easy to make. I bought some silver glitter scrapbook letters from a cheap store - two packs for under ten dollars and 4 metres of ribbon from the party section at a craft store for four dollars.  I then used some bits of adhesive velcro I had lying around to finish their closure :) The scrapbook letters also came in handy when making my voting box, I simply covered a cardboard box in shiny material and stuck on "vote" to the front!


Today I'm working on my prom dress which I picked up from the op shop, I'm going to try and make it super tacky. I'm still not sure if I'm going grunge yet or super girly but time will tell. I also managed to buy the best sparkly silver material for my photo booth backdrop and I have 200 pastel silver and pink balloons arriving in the mail sometime soon :) Yesterday I also hand drew 24 poses for the photo booth to help people out the their posing - omg - took way too long but hopefully will be a helpful inclusion :)

*breathes out* Ben just told me everyone is going down the back to lie in hammocks with frosty beverages and hang out with a Gremlin so I'm signing off! Hopefully I'll be back with more updates on my party processes :)

14 comments:

  1. oh, these crowns are fab. can't wait to see the photos of your party :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Petra, I'll try and remember to take photos maybe before the party begins!

      Delete
  2. OMG! :) :) everything looks amazing (lucky party attendants). I was going to say that my favorite lady crown was a tie between the 2nd (ballerina!) and the 5th but I'll go with your own, it turned out so great, love the pink tulle with the silver stars. Would you have a DIY for them? I also love the fur addition, silver pendant and wings in the king's crown. Excited to see the rest of details, I feel I should start looking for a tacky dress to wear while reading your prom posts feeling more properly ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are definitely invited Damaris :) :)
      The ballerina crown was my favourite too but unfortunately I didn't have any small girly toys to include :( I thought about doing a diy for the crowns but I think they are just too easy, essentially I just twisted some pipe cleaners and used super glue to stick on all the jewels :) I also just winged the amount of tulle and ended up sewing it onto the pipe cleaner base - the only time consuming part :) Maybe you can wear a tacky dress on Saturday to visit in spirit!!

      Delete
  3. i absolutely LOVE those crowns! not sure when i'd ever need a crown, but i'm bookmarking this right away :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You never know when you'll need a sparkly crown! Thanks Shoko :)

      Delete
  4. WOW! your crowns are super amazing! and those sashes too! i can't wait to see what you do with the dress and your look!! the party is going to be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so! Everyone is getting super excited at our place, I love that my room mates are all jumping on board as well, it's a fun vibe at the moment :)

      Delete
  5. oooh it all looks so great! I can't wait to see photos of your party!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Um. Now I really want to attend this party so bad! So much love going into it all - it looks amaaazzzing. Love the idea of a photo backdrop corner (: (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its definitely going to be one loved filled party :) On a side note, looking at photos is still fun though - maybe? Always here in spirit too! Ben and I are talking about a road trip to Melbourne with Gremlin - ambitious - maybe? I'll keep you in the loop :)

      Delete
  7. this party will be awesome :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh it was sooooo much fun Sara!!

      Delete

If you would like to be notified of further replies click the "notify me" box (in the bottom right hand corner)