Thursday, February 8, 2018

Mosaic Making

I think I hinted at something fun I wanted to share previously, well today's the day to share my adventures in mosaics! Ben's cousin Carmen stayed with us over the holiday period and she was kind enough to teach us her expertise. I was instantly sold at how fun and beautiful the art of mosaics could be :) Since I'm all about flowers this year, I thought a classic rose would be the perfect design for a plain paver in our yard.

I still can't believe I made that! It was the perfect combo between things I love, puzzles, design and colours with a practical end result :)

After smashing, cutting, assembling and gluing our pieces the night before, the morning was spent grouting and this is where the photos are from :)

This was my piece pre-grout

And now, cue the photos of Carmen being a great teacher!





On the right is Carmen's finished piece that she left with us and which we promptly put up in our home :)

My guy post-grouted


The brick on the very end was a quick throw away piece to use up any left over grout. The shell planter was Ben's Mum who also stayed with us :)

Some close ups: I used a ceramic moon and two ceramic butterflies as well, which has given Ben and I lots of ideas to merge our ceramics with this new hobby. Ben, by the way, did this amazing turtle but he worked slower than the rest of use and had to grout his piece the next day.


Every time I go out into the garden or step onto the paver, I get this wave of proudness! 

Creating is so fun :) 

10 comments:

  1. So beautiful Fee! 😍😍

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg I love these! Now I want to try. Also, what a beautiful spot to make art in - I miss making art outside. (Here in Canada we're always in the negative degree's lately, with mounds of snow and its just not nice to be out).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely need to try mosaics! We're really lucky to have this nice outdoor area that overlooks farm land, very peaceful and I've noticed it's made me a happier person for having such a space in my life and thus I'm trying not to take it for granted whilst we're living here :) :)

      Delete
  3. Fee! That's beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's soooo pretty! And it made me miss summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so nice to be able to do activities outside in the warm sun!

      Delete
  5. Omg so pretty! I'll have to look out for it next time I visit (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's round the side :) Although we did have to temporarily move it for the mower man!

      Delete

If you would like to be notified of further replies click the "notify me" box (in the bottom right hand corner)