Wednesday, April 10, 2019

bought/gift/made /18


I love the story of my gifted item for this round of bought/gift/made. At our local farmers markets they have a few old gents selling tools. I've been wanting a spokeshave for a really long time for my stools but I've also had a little break from stand making to focus on other areas and so when I finally spotted this spokeshave below, I ummed and ahhed and eventually walked away, knowing I didn't have a use for it right away.  I was with Ben and by the end of the market I decided I was super silly for not getting it because I'd been wanting one for so long and they are really hard to find (second hand!) so we walked back to the stall only to find it was gone.  I walked away trying to convince myself it was only a thing but cursing myself in the same breath for not grabbing it earlier.  Ben hearing my rambling chatter pulled it out of his pocket.  He had ducked away earlier whilst I was immersed in vegetables, to surprise me :)





second hand spoke shave

In the made category, a cat stand I made for our cats.  I saw this incredible cat stand whilst trawling instagram here and it stood out to me because cat stand designs are usually super awful.  I tracked it down to this company but they had stopped selling their stands and now it looks like they have pulled down their website too :(  Anyway full credit goes to them for their amazing design, I just did some reverse engineering and came up with this guy below.  After making it, I was super proud of myself and every time I see Peach on it, I squeal with delight!



minimalist simple cat tree




rose quartz and amethyst
And finally, in the bought category some pretty crystals. I don't buy a lot that isn't food or second hand to be honest (and the 2nd hand things go into my thrifty sunday posts).  I'm no consumerist saint, I definitely buy things just items that fall into the uncool bucket, like an antennae for my car or a peg basket or underwear.  

5 comments:

  1. What a sweet story about the gift - and i LOVE your "made", that is indeed a beautiful cat stand. So cool. I want one for plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. but then again I also want a window with real sunshine for some plants..... ha!

      Delete
    2. I feel ya on that, I've lived a few times on the ground level (or under ground level) and although nice and cosy the appeal of sun is a strong one! We now live in a place with lots of windows but it's surrounded by trees (which is super amazing) but I've come to learn it does limit the sun as well. I think my ultimate dream is a really big block with trees a little away from the house! (slightly picky but you have to dream big :P)

      Delete
  2. the crystals look really pretty! I tend to buy heavy stuff I keep asking myself why ;(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's only recently I let myself buy heavy things because of the fear of moving house and having to move heavy things but you only live once right! Nice to have things you enjoy around you :)

      Delete

If you would like to be notified of further replies click the "notify me" box (in the bottom right hand corner)