Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Book Review - The Book of Moods

the book of moods

“It was around four o’clock, the sun already setting, the drinks already flowing, and Michael BublĂ©’s Christmas album wafting from the speakers when the front door flew open in a gust of icy wind, sending a chill up my spine. Aunt Linda had just arrived, carrying her traditional Christmas cookies and steaming plate of judgment.”

Lauren Martin has a clever way with words. Of weaving together narratives, of using vivid stories and scattering in great quotes from other women. I knew I'd appreciate this book from following Lauren's insta account, words of women, which is always classy and full of inspiration - she has a style and it's great. The only thing I personally couldn't relate to with this book (and it's quite a present theme, since the book is about moods) is her proclivity towards anger. There were definitely stories and emotions and moods I did relate to and because I could relate, those resonated & were more enjoyable. I powered through those pages. I imagine if anger is your knee-jerk reaction to unpleasant situations (even seemingly small incidents) this book will be your jam. A lot of the time, as I was reading, I put myself in her shoes and realised I would have just had a flood of tears, overthought everything, and felt sorry for myself – but I didn't write this book.

If you've ever had a mood in your life I'm sure you'll get something out of the book, with each chapter offering an antidote that's simple enough to implement yourself. Her writing is great and I love how the chapters are put together with enough breaks to keep things interesting, actually it's one of my favourite parts of the book!

8/10

“The rejections. The unfulfilled dreams. The luck that never came. I knew how to stand in line and how to calmly handle leaking air conditioners, but I didn’t know how to handle this part of the mood. The nagging worry that nothing would actually ever work out for me. I had gone through all the moods, I finally had everything I wanted, yet I was waking up with a feeling I’d never had before—doubt. What was next? Why did everything feel so far away? What was there to look forward to?”



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you would like to be notified of further replies click the "notify me" box (in the bottom right hand corner)