Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Canon 5d mark iii Review


So last week I talked about the fuji xt-2 and today I'm looking at the Canon 5d mark 3. I started shooting weddings at the end of 2013, I had bought my 5dmark ii before that and I remember they were releasing or soon to be releasing the 3 but I was pretty stoked to be getting the 2! Fast forward to today and the 2 is really outdated and in the last year or so I've been having those nagging thoughts that I really need to keep up with technology and re-invest.  Cameras are expensive though!



By the start of last year all the photographers I was working with had upgraded to the mark 3 and I'd remember discussing the camera with them and how it sounded pretty darn perfect, finding this sweet spot between the softness of the original 5d mark and the sharpness of the 2 and just with a bunch more ISO

I had my own wedding coming up (normally I shoot for other companies) so to be safe guarded I decided to rent the mark iii.  I hired it for the weekend and on the Sunday after the wedding I took a few test shots to play around and see all the hype.


I honestly thought my photos would vastly improve shooting on more advanced technology (and I'm sure there's a case to be made if you really scrutinised my images) but overall the shooting experience felt very similar.   My big take away was that you don't need to upgrade just for the sake of the upgrade.  Digital cameras don't last forever (and do eventually need to be upgraded!) and sometimes a limiting aspect of technology may be solved with a new model but it's totally okay to use what is working for you now as well :)



If you want to see the wedding I shot on the mark iii, you can check it over here

Below are my sunday-funday test shots, which include convincing Ben to come down to our local park for a portrait! 


portrait in the park

ceramic bunny sculpture

gallery wall in house

monstera leaves

monstera art

brisbane artists

sunflower close up

painting close up

house plants on verandah

couple portrait

park portrait
Have you had a similar experience when you upgraded? Or perhaps the upgrade really helped improve your photography vastly, I'd be super curious to know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you would like to be notified of further replies click the "notify me" box (in the bottom right hand corner)