Tuesday, October 19, 2021

Book Review - Bolder

I just finished the book Bolder and I loved it!

bolder book

Our library has a new system where they'll flip interesting-looking books out on display, essentially curating their shelves like a bookstore.  I planned to just duck into the library and pick up a book on reserve but Bolder caught my eye with its tagline ("Life lessons from people older and wiser than you") and my soft spot for the older generation.

rita gilmore

The book is by Dominique Afacan and Helen Cathcart two friends championing "people over the age of 70 who are still creating, inspiring or working" (source).    

bolder love and sex
The book is divided into themes and features 27 individuals over the age of 70.  

bolder book photo
Dominique and Helen share their musings, followed by a portrait of the subject and the subject's thoughts.  The themes are loose but they provide a lovely narrative structure and the overall layout of the book is beautiful.  Most importantly though I was insanely inspired! Tuula Olin taught me the power of standing on one leg for strength and balance, Robert Burke reminded me that life is not a dress rehearsal and Muffie Grieve left me with the thought "be positive and never give in".  I also came away knowing I have to up my daily movement (pilates seemed a popular choice!) if I want to be living such colourful and vibrant lives that the participants in the book are living!

bolder cleo interview

Other notes I took from the book
Never feel sorry for yourself and never give it (Rita Gilmore)
Take the stairs don't use a handrail! (Pat Moorehead)
Stay Curious (ALician Moorehead)
No past, no future, the best time is now -Pierre Gruneberg (+ his salad bowl swimming technique)

9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you would like to be notified of further replies click the "notify me" box (in the bottom right hand corner)